Nine months ago my family and I moved to Atlanta. Career opportunities and the long-term goal of moving south toward B’s parents drove the decision. In a matter of six weeks we sold our house, quit our jobs, found a new house, found new jobs, and moved across the country with the hopes of settling down in our forever home and forever community.
Before we left, a colleague said to me, “Well, it’s nice when you finally get somewhere that you can put down some roots.” Turns out, I put down those roots six years ago.
After nine months of tough conversations and a lot of self-reflection I’m excited to announce we will be moving back to Iowa next week!
Iowa is my home. There’s no other place I feel such connection and no other place I want to raise my family; it’s where I really grew into an adult. Here are a few highlights:
- I bought my first house there.
- B and I got married above the coffee shop downtown.
- M was born at the local hospital.
- I created a professional identity.
- My mom moved there to be near me.
- I have years worth of friends, memories, and a support network that can never be replicated.
So, while it happened accidentally in 2011, I am now returning with utmost purpose. Plan on more regular posts to chronicle my new adventures.
~ The (Not So) Accidental Iowan